Fertility is the essence of life. It is what allows our species to grow and move forward. It deserves the utmost attention and responsibility.
For starters, detoxing, eating a whole foods diet, adding needed supplements and reducing stress boosts fertility and makes a healthy baby (clean water, clean air, free of sickness, no caffeine, no alcohol). A diet low in sugars and high in healthy fats will help boost fertility. A low sugar body is important because high sugar keeps your insulin levels high which disrupts your hormone levels and interferes with fertility in a number of ways. Healthy fats provide quality nutrients for the membrane of every single cell in the body and is the preferred fuel in maintaining a strong structure. They also provide plenty of energy for the women to sustain a healthy pregnancy.
Supplementation – I prefer to obtain all nutrients from food but if you are wanting to speed the process, here are a few helpful supplements. Please be sure to do your research on quality brands because there are more poor quality brands than good ones.
– Chromium, magnesium and N-acetyl-cysteine will help the body recover from a high sugar diet
– L-Arginine and L-Ornithine(taken together) both stimulate human growth hormone and creation of nitric oxide, which is important for increased blood flow. L-Arginine will increase sperm count in men and cervical secretion in women.
Oral Contraceptives(the pill)
– the use of these methods will interfere with the body’s natural chemistry and hormone levels. It promotes mineral imbalances in women and can be harmful to babies that are conceived even when a woman stops using. Give the body at least 6 months-1year without the birth control before attempting to conceive. Make sure Zinc levels are optimal as these levels will lower and are needed for a healthy environment. I would also consider removing all pharmaceutical pills (even as simple as Ibuprofen) as they will cause imbalances in the bloodstream.
A healthy thyroid is key to a healthy pregnancy because the thyroid is an important component to the endocrine system(hormone). Be sure to make sure these levels are in a safe position as low levels can lead to many complications. Research shows a baby’s well being and intelligence can be linked to a mothers thyroid health.
Fertility: not just for women
The woman may seem to get all the responsible for conceiving, but a healthy sperm count is crucial. Keep the body as strong and pure as possible. Quality sleep, low stress, zero processed foods, zero alcohol. It may seem strict, but it’s most necessary during these times. Coenzyme Q10, Zinc, and acetyl-L-carnitine are three key supplements to boost sperm quality.
– Count: at least 20 million per milliliter
– Motility(functional movement of sperm): at least 50% should show progressive movement
– Morphology(shape of sperm): at least 15% should be formed normally
Detoxifying your environment and body (a quick overview)
-be weary of heavy metals, artificial fragrances, anything made of plastic, personal hygiene products, toothpaste(no fluoride), soaps, shampoos, deodorant, make up, hair dye or spray, sunscreens, perform, cologne, dryer sheets, shower curtains (polyester instead of vinyl). Again this all may seem above and beyond in our modern society, but these products contain chemicals and additives that can disrupt the body’s natural flow of energy to promote the optimal environment for a baby.